Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Thunder and Lightning and Hail, Oh My!

Oklahoma has been dry. Very dry. My lawn has suffered for it. Lake levels (read, water supply) are way down, and farm ponds are drying up. The fire danger has been so high we are not allowed to grill outside. People in these parts have been driven to extremes in their attempts to encourage rain. I myself was almost desperate enough to wash my car, or, even better, to leave the sunroof open on the car overnight!

Fortunately, I didn’t have to. A coworker washed his car, sacrificing for the greater good.

Last night was sort of exciting, for those of us who appreciate a good storm. It came in two bands, the first being only a prelude to the real thing. By the time the big one hit, I was safe at home. In my neighborhood, there was lots of wind, thunder, hail, and lightning. Not far from my neighborhood, they reported golf-ball sized hail and a tornado or two.

The most important thing, though, is that it RAINED. It was a good, heavy, soaking deluge. I had begun to wonder if we were destined for Dust Bowl, Round 2.

No comments: