Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hello, my name is...

Hello, my name is Ginger, and I am a sewing-machine-aholic.  Uh, I mean, a vintage machine enthusiast. That sounds much nicer, doesn't it?  I just can't seem to help myself when I see a vintage machine. I have to look it over, see if it works, check out its attachments and appearance. Most of my acquisitions have occurred while living in California, so I shall blame it on being so far away from friends and family.

Here is my latest "rescue." It's a Singer model 15-91, built in 1934, two years before my mother was born. Obviously, the base it is in is not the original, but it needed something to sit in.

I love these old machines for several reasons. First, and most important, their reliability. These machines were precision made, all steel, and built to last for generations. If they are kept clean, oiled and lubricated, they will work like new for a hundred years or more. Most machines made today cannot make that claim.

Also, I just like their looks; their lovely decals, decorative face plates and sleek shiny surface. Another great feature is the large opening to the right of the needle. Modern machines seem to be much smaller here.  This large opening is important when it comes to making quilts, which is something I enjoy doing. These older machines will sew just about any fabric you can get under the presser foot: anything from silk to denim.

No comments: