Friday, August 15, 2014

Motivation and Inspiration

I belong to a quilt guild here in California. It is nice to meet with others who share my love of quilting. The quilt top pictured here was donated to our guild for the purpose of finishing it, and then to be given to a needy person. It is one of several quilt tops made by the same person. I suspect the woman who made them was deceased before they could be finished.

I have volunteered to quilt some tops for our guild's Philanthropy group, mostly to give me practice with the mid-arm quilting machine. I started out just stippling quilts, using a template to give me some guidance. This quilt top, with its plain red inner border is asking for a little something more than just an overall pattern; perhaps a vine and leaves.

Watching long-arm quilting videos on Youtube has helped me immensely in venturing  beyond meandering and stippling, into overall freehand quilting, using a couple of different designs. Some great long-arm teachers include Nicole Webb Rivera, Jamie Wallen, and APQS among others.

I have gotten very kind remarks about my quilting, and this is giving me the courage to consider quilting for others, to perhaps earn a little extra money, to help support my quilting habit.

No comments: