Monday, December 20, 2010

Quilted Books

I like to read a lot. There have been times when I was so engrossed in a book that I didn't hear someone talking to me.  The only trouble is, that eventually one runs out of room to store books one has already read.  What to do, what to do..

Ebooks to the rescue!  There are websites devoted to serving up books electronically, both free and for sale, in all genres. One of the first I discovered was Project Gutenberg. However, there are many more ebook libraries and bookstores to choose from, and they are easily found by searching with your favorite search engine.

Ebooks are great, but sometimes I missed the freedom to get away from the computer, to curl up in a comfy chair with a good book. Apparently I'm not the only one, because there are now several good ebook readers available.  

So, for my birthday, DH got me an ebook reader. It's thin and light, and about the size of a paperback. However, it's actually easier to handle than a paper book, because I can easily hold it and turn pages with one hand.  Because it is so thin and light, I was worried about protecting it when not in use. Then I remembered a tutorial I had seen at the Moda Bakeshop, a website providing quilting fabrics and patterns. 

Outside
Inside

    I followed the directions mostly. However, I cut my own strips instead of using a "honey bun." I also used my embroidery machine for the appliques. And I couldn't resist using the cute banned books quote from Urban Threads.


No comments: