Monday, February 14, 2011

Quilted T-Shirts, Part Two

Click photo to enlarge
DDIL's T-shirt quilt top is all pieced together. It turned out rather large.  I really liked the fabric in the outer border, and it seemed a shame that there weren't more of it, so I decided to take some of the flowers from the leftover fabric and scatter a few across the top as appliqués.  If you click on the photo you can see it a little more clearly.

My sewing room is tiny and crowded; could this be caused by the presence of 10 sewing machines, four of them in cabinets? And don't forget the two sergers...Anyhow, this is the reason the quilt was laid out on the floor in the den, (don't worry folks, I vacuumed the carpet first) as it was the only place in the house with a large enough flat area to do this. Pinning the quilt "sandwich" together involved several hours crawling around on the floor. I felt like I'd been working!

The next challenge will be to get this top quilted. I've only actually machine quilted one or two small quilts myself. Usually I send it out to have it done by someone with a long-arm quilting machine, but I have the urge to learn to do it myself. This will require plenty of preparation and practice, but I gotta learn sometime.

2 comments:

Quilt Doodles said...

I love your T shirt quilt! You'll do great with the quilting too.

Ginger Lee said...

Thank you. I am still learning.