Wednesday, March 02, 2011

A First (for me)

Last weekend we went to pick up a quilting frame.  We plan to build an add-on to enable using a sewing machine with it instead of hand quilting. The first quilting that will be done on it will be one I picked up at a yard sale. It's nothing fancy, and I don't know what to do with it once it's finished, but it will be my practice quilt.  This way, if it gets messed up, it'll be no big loss.

Right now, we're just waiting for the parts we've ordered previously, the parts to build the sewing machine carriage. So, in the meantime, the frame is assembled, sitting in the den. Today, I finished a quilt top for my youngest son. (Shhh, it's a surprise) So, since it was time to build the quilt sandwich, I decided to give it a try, and use it to pin-baste the top, batting, and back together.  It's going to require some practice to get it all straight, but it worked. It seemed a little better than crawling around on the floor. The t-shirt quilt took hours to pin-baste, hours of crawling around on the floor. I was even forced to lock Ginger and Butch in the bedroom while I did it, because Butch wanted to "help." Here is a photo of the quilt frame in action.

No comments: