Friday, March 18, 2011

FMQ

In quilting terms, FMQ means free motion quilting.  It can be done either on a long arm quilting setup, or on your regular old sewing machine. Since I don't have a long arm quilting setup, I'm using my new-to-me but 90-year-old "Red Head" Singer, model 66, while crossing my fingers hoping that there is a long-arm machine somewhere out there with my name on it. This is a straight stitch only machine, without reverse. Which means no backstitching. When you FMQ, it is necessary to either lower or cover the feed dogs, so they don't interfere with the free movement of the fabric under the needle. This machine didn't come with a feed dog cover, and the feed dogs don't lower. So now the feed dogs are in the drawer of the lovely old cabinet she sits in.
I've begun working on DDIL's t-shirt quilt, the actual quilting (FMQ) of it. Believe it or not, marking the quilting lines takes longer than actually sewing them.

No comments: